Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Mondegreens

I bought this album by RHCP yesterday. It's called "By the way". There's a song in it which is called "The Zephyr Song". A nice song,

Fly away on my zephyr
I feel it more then ever
And in this perfect weather
We'll find a place together

It had me thinking that Zephyr was some kind of a mythological bird which Greek or Roman gods used to ride. Then the "perfect weather" bit started bugging me... so I decided to look it up on the net... well, Zephyr is not the name of a bird. A westerly wind is called a Zephyr, named after the Greek god of the west winds. Well that is a piece information which is very useless but interesting.

Sometimes you just hear something in a song and don't even bother to check what it meant, or if you even heard it correctly, and would you believe it, it actually has a word. Misheard lyrics are called Mondegreens. If you search on the web you'll find many examples of Mondegreens. Some of the most popular ones are...

<>"There's a bathroom on the right."
Actual lyric: "There's a bad moon on the rise."
Bad Moon Rising, Credence Clearwater

<>"Excuse me while I kiss this guy."
Actual lyric: "Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Purple Haze, Jimi Hendrix

<>"Dead ants are my friends; they're blowin' in the wind."
Actual lyric: "The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind."
Blowin' In The Wind, Bob Dylan

<>"What a nice surprise when you're out of ice."
Actual lyric: "What a nice surprise bring your alibis."
Hotel California, Eagles

<>I shot the Sheriff, but I didn't shoot him dead you see.
Actual lyric: I shot the Sheriff, but I didn't shoot the deputy.
I shot the sheriff, Eric Clapton

<>I wanna know, Have you ever seen Loraine?
Actual lyric: I wanna know, Have you ever seen the rain?
Have you ever seen the rain, Credence Clearwater Revival

Yeah, I know exactly what you are thinking, "who could be so dumb to actually end up singing these songs like this...?" Just search on the net and you'll find even funnier ones. Happy Hunting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment